Friday, April 13, 2012

Being an Office Girl

I only finished 3rd year (1st sem) BSC Computer Science & Information System at Centro Escolar University, Manila.  Due to some personal reasons, I wasn't able to go back to college to finish my course, and at a very young age, I started working in a bank, but it was just an accident.  I replaced the position of my mother when she decided to go to the US, we were having some serious family matters during that time.  As the eldest in the family and as a mom, I have to work for my siblings and be the head of the family.  
Even though it is a company owned by a relative of mine, who was really very supportive and really cares for us, I've got a lot of discrimination from the pioneers regarding how much is my salary, how I am doing my tasks, that I am an undergraduate, etc., etc..  Honestly? Even though I have an Accounting 1 & 2 subjects, it is really different when you were doing it in the office.  I was ashamed to ask many questions, considering it is a bank, no one explained to me what are the types of loans, savings, accounting tickets/entries, what to debit and what to credit.  I almost gave up, one week feels like 1 month.  My head is really getting bigger, as if it wants to explode!  Sometimes, I really don't know what I was doing, got a lot of mistakes, type... type... type... !  I was so ashamed, I really cried a lot because sometimes I feel like I'm stupid and dumb, but I have to do this. I forced myself to self study but I'm still asking questions and help of course when I really can't understand something.
Months and months passed by, and I'm getting used to it, instead of just typing and arranging credit files, from Clerk to Loan Clerk, after 1 or 2 years (really can't remember) I was promoted as a Bank Bookkeeper, I encode day-to-day transactions, validate receipts, loan releases, weekly reports, monthly reports, daily proof sheets, General Ledgers and so on.  Was also given a chance to do part-time work as the Secretary of the Bank's Legal Counsel. So, there goes my day-to-day routine as an office girl, wake up 6 in the morning, be sure that my 2 students will leave the house for school 7-7:15 am and be at the office before 8 am or you will be deducted 1/5 of your daily salary (that's kinda tough) hehe, but that's part of our life here, no late please... :D Go home at 5pm or until all transactions are closed and be ready for the next business day. Do overtime during end-of-the month and meet deadlines for reports.
We've got so many benefits as an employee here, we even had a tour to Shanghai, China for 5 days in 2005 and had a 5 days vacation in Boracay Island in 2008, every Christmas there's a gift worth of PHP 10,000.00, just choose what kind of appliances or stuff you want (although some can't see it and still demands for more).  Crab mentality in some Filipinos are just but normal, especially when you are in a rural area, not like in the city "walang pakialaman" (yun nga lang mas safe ka sa probinsya). I remained in the bank for ten (10) consecutive years, I started September 2001 and left September 2011.  Why did I left? Some will think, I'm crazy, I guess I really am.   I know I am one of those lucky person to have this kind of job, considering there's a lot of people out there looking for it.  I, myself didn't know the answer that time, just wanted to break-free, I already asked myself that question.  I guess, one of the reason is, I started working at a very young age, had the responsibilities, the heartaches, family matters, office matters and so on.  "Para bang napilit sa hinog?" Then kung kailan nagka-edad na ako, saka pa ako naka-isip ng ganito, weird!   All I can think of that time is, I want to search myself, what it's like to apply for a job, to have an interview, to do what I wasn't able to do.  To soul search and to think.  
And I packed my things up, went to Manila and look for a job, I left my kids to my in-laws to be taken care of.  It's hard but exciting, I tried to apply as a call center agent, I applied in 5 companies and the ratio is 2:3, I passed the two and failed 3, hehehe not bad at all, I chose Teletech in MOA, Pasay, I was proud to be part of this company, it gave me opportunity and I proved myself that even though I am not that fluent and perfect in English communication, it gave me a chance. But sooner, after 3 months of working, I have to go back to my family, my 3 kids needed me and I can't bear the fact to leave them suffering, just to make me feel I have my own worth. It is our first time to be apart that long.  So, I made a decision, went back to the province and to be with my family again.  
You may think, I just wasted my time and lose a great job? Yes, I did lose a great job, but I did not wasted my time, it is not worthless, because that sacrifice made me feel more better and I proved myself that I am too, are worthy enough and I can do beyond my limitations and beyond the expectations of others.
Problems will always be there, you just need to know how to face it and deal with it, but at the end, don't forget your worth as a person and as a human being, there's always regret at the end but learn from it.  Prove yourself and stand up! Don't let anyone put you down. :D  

No comments:

Post a Comment