Sunday, March 23, 2014

Healthy Choices - Part 1 - Your Food Intake

Healthy Choices


Back on my "student" years, I used to be an athlete, believe it or not LOL, I am a varsity player and a captain ball in basketball, also participated in some sports like softball, lawn tennis and so on.  But after i graduated and started working, all this extra curricular activities i already set aside. I became too much busy on my work and family, and honestly speaking i totally forgot to be physically active (or let's say being lazy in other words). So in doing this, what else do you expect? Of course you will gain what you invested, FATS, and lots of it... I never been that conscious before, i ignored that i am gaining weight as years passes by. More and more, and the athlete that i was before was just a memory of the past... LOL!
Friends and relatives are noticing it and asking me "Hey, what happened to you?" But still, i took it for granted.

Then one day, as i looked at myself in front of the mirror, it's horrible, HAHAHA, i wasn't like this before, adding to that i am experiencing difficulty in breathing, getting tired too fast, body malaise, high blood pressure and increasing sugar level (Gosh! I should be aware of this because both of my parent's side have diabetes history)  WOW! This is not right, I have to do something about it. 

So, January 2013 i started to skip red meat, switch my food for more vegetables and fruits, homemade salad and white meat (fish/chicken) & less carbo, of course not forcing myself, slowly i disciplined my food intake, slowly, slowly and surely... Why slowly? Because you don't want your body to get surprise by the sudden change you are doing, and you don't want to faint and put yourself at risk because of doing the wrong diet. Not just to look better again, but to be healthy right?


And who among of us doesn't love sweets, soda, and fast foods?  Well i'm a heck chocolate lover, Super! But as I've mentioned.. DISCIPLINE, that's the first RULE, before i always have that "chocolate thing" inside my bag, but now, I managed to ignore it every time I am passing by a grocery store. Sometimes, you need to satisfy yourself, just to stop the craving, there's always a "cheat day" for me (usually weekends), but still, DISCIPLINE. And you will never go wrong.  



Slowly and slowly, your stomach will get used to it, and so with your body.  I feel good and more alive.  The main purpose for me is not just to get rid of the unwanted fats that i gained for years, but to be healthy and be physically active once again.  Honestly, I lost lots of kilos in just less than a year, with only doing the "healthy diet" alone... Frankly, I am bringing back the self-confidence that I lost before.

I have nothing against being chubby or fat, in fact still i am.  But the main point is to be, to feel healthy once again and to be active, do the things without feeling exhausted easily.  I am proud that I am doing this and changing my lifestyle a little. According to one quote "It's never too late, It's never too bad, and you're never too old or too sick, to start from scratch once again.  And really, it's our choice, and this is my choice, the healthy one.


No comments:

Post a Comment