Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Experiences being a Call Center Agent

What it's like to be a call center agent? ........

A good friend of mine is working as a customer service representative in Makati, she told me to try to apply for the position also, I asked her if I can send resume on Jobstreet, and she said yes, and if I send my application online how many days before they call me? she responded "Hmmm, I'm not sure, maybe one or two weeks?" So later that day I submitted an application online.  The following day, my cellphone rings, and a lady was asking me if I was the one who sent an application online, I said "Yes, Ma'am."  And she started to asks me some questions, questions that I didn't even know the answer! I'm struggling! Struggling for words!  I don't even know that time what is a CSR, and the Call Center Industry means!  In my mind I was screaming! What the....!  Hey, I'm not yet ready for a phone interview!  I didn't expect to have it now!  But of course, I can't do that...  So, it went through... And what do I expect? Of course I failed the initial phone interview!!! HAHAHA!  Serves me right, I wasn't prepared.  Lesson is, do not rush yourself, take your time and prepare yourself.

When I went to Manila, I asked my friend if I she can accompany me to apply in Makati, and she said yes, we first went to the company where she works (the one I got a phone interview) but unfortunately, it will take about 6 months before I can send an application again, and then we walk, walk and walk... We passed by the TeleTech Hub, and I applied, I started 1pm, I passed the initial interview and go through the online testing, grammar, spelling, solving phone problems, what will you do with an issue or how to deal with an irate customer and some questions about computer itself IP address, etc. Lastly, the phone interview, they will give a situation on the phone and explain how you will deal with it, I finished 5:30-6pm, my friend in the lobby is really hungry waiting for me, hehehe.  But the good thing is, I passed and the lady there told me that I have a final interview in TeleTech located in MOA, Pasay.  Next day, I am all prepared for the final interview, but when the interviewer asked me when I can start, I told her "about 3 weeks after?" hehehe wrong move again, when they ask you about this one, you should respond "ASAP or Anytime." and that time I told her that I am still working, she told me to wait for an email. Because I am not yet decided at that time, I just tried if I can pass the interview and be eligible to work as a call center agent even though I am not that good in English Communication, I'm not fluent and sometimes my grammar slips, :D

All in all, I've got a ratio of 2:3, I passed 2 companies including TeleTech (I included it passing because my test result will last for 1 year) and failed 3, not bad at all huh?  After a month I still didn't received an email, and this time, I am decided to relocate in Manila, I asked a TeleTech chat support agent about the status of my interview, there was a typographical error on my email address that's why I didn't received an email from them, he said that I didn't pass the final interview, that I might not be eligible for that position until I decided to relocate in Manila.


September 2011, I went back to TeleTech located in MOA, I asked them if I can re-apply for the position, and immediately that day I had my "final" interview again and fortunately I passed, scheduled my Medical examination and so on, October 3 when I started the training under Mr. Ryan Gonzales.  We were 14 in the group.  We were under Project Eagle, Wave 7...  


Wave 7 are composed of 14 different people from different locations, some already have experiences, some were "virgins", just like me.  We have 2 senior citizens, some from the middle ages, including me, and some are from their early 20's.  Different people with different attitudes. The first week is the hardest, we're all aloof from from each other, as if we were trying to figure out each and everyone's characteristics, who can speak English well, etc, etc..  Except for 1 man, the funniest and most talkative in the group "Johann", a well experienced CSR boy.  But he is one of my favorite, he's kind although he has a "brutal bibig" hehehe. (bibig means lips/mouth)


2 weeks of basic training, I thought I wouldn't pass it, but I did. We are really building a good friendship here, we ate in the "pantry" with our trainor, we try to help each other especially during the training period, the correct grammar, how to pronounce and so on.  Then after that, the reality of Product Training.  Because after that, the one who will test us are the "Big Bosses" from Florida, USA.  In Wave 7, I am what they called "si ateng Negative" it is because I always feel nervous on everything, I felt that I cannot pass the interview, the basic training and the product training and all of these, hehehe... Fortunately I survived all of these.


And I became a real Customer Service Representative!  My first QA (Quality Assurance) scored 96, wow! I'm proud of it, and the rest is history.  I lived somewhere in Roosevelt, QC.  Everyday I took the LRT1 Roosevelt Station all the way to EDSA Station, then I'll take a jeepney to SM MOA.  My shift starts 12:30 am- 9:30am, sometimes 9:00-10:00 I am already at the office, I don't want to be late, plus I don't want to miss the LRT, hehehe, I don't want to take a bus, because I feel more safe riding on LRT than buses or jeepney in Metro, Manila.  During lunchtime (3-4am) break, sometimes instead of eating I spent that time sleeping in the women's quarter, which has only 15 beds! OMG! If it is all occupied, try to sleep on the floor, if ever it is also occupied, I sleep in the pantry. (saklap)!  When I get used to it (lunch) I consumed 1 bottle of VITAMILK and a cup of cake/bread or coffee.  After my shift, it's time to go home of course, the usually 5-10 mins ride from the office to LRT EDSA station, during 9:30 am? OMG! This will take you 20-45 minutes sometimes, and during this hour, the traffic sucks!  So that's my day-to-day routine, while everyone else is saying "What a day!" and started to take a rest, we as a nightshifters just starting the day, we are all awake and taking up calls while everyone else's preparing to sleep.


First week of December, I had an accident, I slipped on the floor and hit the back of my head and my shoulders, I immediately informed by Team Leader, and he's been very supportive and shows concerned on his team members.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go back because the swelling took a couple of weeks, so we decided to go back in Aurora. And there, being a CSR just ended.  But it gave me a lot of experience and all the hard work worth it all.

All in all, I had a great experience with this company, with good memories and good friendship, even until now, we have communications.  





2 comments: