Friday, February 17, 2012

Remembering this Month...

     It'll be another year for me, a plus to my age again, I really can't stop this, can I? unless I'm already six feet under, hehehe... Mostly, when we were a kid, we were excited whenever our birthday is coming, because most of the time, our parents will make a little celebration for us, balloons, cakes, pastas, etc. and wait for our gifts of course! But when I turned 20, Oh my, Am I really getting old? then came my early and late 20's, curious but less excited though, a plus again to my age and a lil' fine wrinkles!!! Same when I reached 30 last year, as if I can't accept it. Darn! 
     This year, what's new? I'm turning 31years old in a couple of days, hmmmm, then I realized It'll never be like the past years for me. Because this year there will be no "ima" nor "nanay Fely" that will greet me "Happy Birthday"... 
     My "Ima" (ima means mother in Kapampangan dialect) was the mother of my father, she was very lovely and generous to people, from Arayat, Pampanga, Philippines, her full name was Ruperta Vergara Santos, a well-known person in this place because of her kindness and generosity to others when she's still alive.  I remember when she's still around and I am only 15 or 16 years old,  sometimes I can make her cry because we argue on some issues and I'm a person that says what's inside me and what I think is right, and she doesn't like that, so when I turned 17 or 18 years old, that's the only time I realized that she's getting older and the least that I can do for her is to make her happy, so every weekend, I stays in her place together with my other cousins, Hanes, Brenn and Rap with their loving and sometimes "masungit" mother tita Len.:D I always showed her that I love her on my simplest way, I do her nails and foot spa, massage her legs and a little facial using some of St. Ive's products.  I know in that little way I can make her happy. 
     October 18, 2006, when she had an accident, she fell on the floor and hit her head, and she went to a coma, and when my three aunts (ima's daughters) from America decided to come back here in the Philippines, I knew in my mind that Ima is not doing good in the hospital, four of Ima's children are doctors, 2 here in the Philippines and the other 2 are doctors in the US. The rest are all businessmen/women including my father. And my grandmother is already on a life support system and the chances are very slim.  When this happened I am already working as a bookkeeper in our province, and never had the chance to visit my granny in the hospital, and all of her children were discussing about to pull the life support system, I was shocked! I will never see her again, alive! Early that year, we visited her in Pampanga, and she doesn't want us to go home, she wanted us to still stay even for the night, but we have to leave because me and my husband have to work. So I and my daughter Chloe and my son Lance waved goodbye to her, I never taught It'll be the last moment to see her. I rushed myself taking a bath, getting ready for a long travel, inside the shower room, I cried hard "Ima, please wait for me.." but they already pulled the life support system, it's too late for me. Until now, I can't help but cry when I think of her. It was October 23 when she passed away and October 26 when we buried her.
     "Nanay Fely" was the mother of my mom. Was born and raised in Baler, Aurora.  I remember, when I was a little girl about 3-6 years old, my mom sometimes leaves me with my Nanay Fely, she had a little store and I always eat everything I want from there. :D She's kinda strict and conservative, she always admonished me about things in life, responsibilities of being a parent and so on... But I knew in my heart, as her first grandchild, I am special. We always knew that she's diabetic, so, so many don'ts, especially on foods and I know how hard it is for her. And the complication of her diabetes just got worse, she cannot stand alone, she spent more time in her bed, more medications, etc., etc., etc.!
       When 2011 came, I am not so excited because I'm turning 3-0!!! And then, March came, a not so good news came to us, my "nanay Fely" is in the hospital again, so I rushed to the hospital to see her. And I didn't like what I saw, she's having trouble breathing normal, but when she saw me, I knew I made her happy. My aunts told me that with her condition we should be ready anytime, so I decided to call my mom thru webcam (IM) and I told my mom about the situation, the night before I went to the hospital they (my aunts) told me that she was mentioning the name of my mom.. She (granny) cannot utter words but when she heard the voice of my mother, she cried and tries to talk. I told my mom not to cry, "Please mom, don't let "lola" hear you crying."  March 9, it's my cousin May's birthday... We were in the hospital, my "nanay Fely asked me to pull her up (in sign language), I just thought she just wanted to change her position on her bed, I was wrong she was trying to kiss me, so I hugged her tightly and I said "I love you, Nanay!" These were the words I never had the chance to say to my "Ima". And I regret that.! So, this time I want my grandmother to feel that I love her so much. March 10 almost midnight I can't sleep, then March 11th, 2 o'clock in the morning, my cousin May called me, and I knew the reason why, she's gone... 
         March 13th, my birthday, I'm just thankful that she didn't passed away on this day. March 27 was the birthday of my "Ima", March 11, the day my "nanay Fely" rested in peace. The two of the most precious women in my life, I will always remember especially on this month. Let us always express our love and gratitude to the people we value most, to the one who's important to our life. So that we will never have regrets at the end that we haven't had the chance to say "I love you!" 
         Goodbye and farewell, 'til we meet again.!!! I love you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment